Day 17 ~ Samhain and Symbolism
Happy Wednesday!! How has your week been so far? We've got LOTS more to offer and are giving you some great information from Magaly...
In today’s discussion, Magaly Guerrero, from Pagan Culture, dances around All Hallow’s Eve, societal views, and symbolism.
Three books that
celebrate family tradition, myth, and The Wheel of the Year:
In today’s discussion, Magaly Guerrero, from Pagan Culture, dances around All Hallow’s Eve, societal views, and symbolism.
Blurring the Veil
“Modern man does not
understand how much his ‘rationalism’ (which has destroyed his capacity to
respond to numinous symbols and ideas) has put him at the mercy of the psychic
‘underworld.’ He has freed himself from ‘superstition’ (or so he believes), but
in the process he has lost his spiritual values to a positively dangerous
degree. His moral and spiritual tradition has disintegrated, and he is now
paying the price for this break-up in worldwide disorientation and
dissociation.”
— Man and His
Symbols by Carl Jung
When I agreed to join
the Samhain’s Sirens wicked goodness, I was sure I was going to write about All
Hallow’s Eve from fictional and realistic points of view. Then I reread Carl
Jung’s Man and His Symbols (for the
umpteenth time), and the quote above took over my thoughts. I couldn’t see
myself posting about nothing other than what the writing evoked in my heart.
Jung’s words reminded me
of what has been happening to All Hallow’s Eve, Samhain, El Dia de los Muertos,
Halloween… as time goes by. For some, it only means handing out sweets and
watching scary movies. Others have elaborate rituals where they attempt to
contact the dead. A few—okay, me—sit back and bask in the sparkly glow of one
the last celebrations most of society still enjoys as a whole, even if not as a
homogeneous group.
Fine! So many people
have no idea that they wear costumes in order to confuse the ghosts that might
follow them home, or that on October 31st the veil between worlds is
so thin that the chill that caresses the back of their necks might be more than
just cold breeze; but seeing children dressed up and trick-or-treating and
Witches celebrating the occasion gives me hope. I want to believe that,
eventually, the blurring of the veil will be so obvious that no one will be
able to miss it.
I wish, I wish, I wish
for the day when the eyes of man’s rationality will be opened wide enough to
allow the societal soul to reclaim its instinctive roots. Dream on, you are probably thinking, some things are just impossible.
But you see, I’m a Witch, and my lot banished ‘impossible’ a long time
ago and replaced it with ‘difficult, but never unachievable.’ Besides, we all
know that wishes are easier to make true when there is belief, imagination, and
while riding the magical high of the upcoming Witches’ New Year ;-)
The Giveaway for Wednesday
~ “AlmaMia Cienfuegos: a
Story of Blood, Scars and Nightmares,” by Magaly Guerrero
~ The Power of Myth, by
Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers
~ The Witches’ Sabbats,
by Mike Nichols
Remember:
Your first entry is to follow us here. (Make sure you
comment and tell us that you're following!)
Bonus entries:
Go to Pagan Culture and follow her blog. Come back
and tell us you are following.
Like us on Facebook- come back and tell us (separate entry)
Follow us on Twitter (come and tell us!- separate entry)
Blog about this giveaway (comment separately and send us a link
to your blog post)
Tweet about this giveaway (comment separately and send us a
link to your blog post)
Today's Recipe
Monster Cookies
They may look monstrous, but the only thing scary about
these cookies is how delicious they are! As fun as they are to bake as they are
to eat, these monsters are created from chow mein noodles to resemble a furry
appearance while featuring uniquely crunchy texture kids and adults alike will
enjoy.
Ingredients
Chow Mein Noodles
White Chocolate Almond Bark
Green Food Coloring
Yellow Candy-Coated Chocolates
Mini Chocolate Chips
Red Decorator Icing (in the tube)
Instructions
Melt the white chocolate almond bark according to the
directions on the package adding a few drops of green food coloring. Set aside
a tablespoon of the almond bark.
Pour the melted almond bark over the chow mein noodles to
coat.
Spoon the coated chow mein noodles into a greased mini
muffin pan and put in your refrigerator to set.
Use the tablespoon of melted almond bark to adhere the
yellow candy-coated chocolate candies to the green chow mein. Then adhere the
mini chocolate chips to the yellow candy-coated chocolate candies to create the
pupils of the eyes.
Use the red decorator icing to pipe on a funny monster
mouth. Allow time for the chocolate to set.
Wednesday's Crafty Corner
Footprint Ghost Craft
This Halloween craft is a simple paper craft, so there is
very little mess and the materials are always on hand. It's also a fun way to
capture just how small your little one's foot is this Halloween season! We made
a whole family of footprint ghost's this year - and it was a great way to work
in a quick Halloween-themed lesson in comparing sizes as well. Enjoy!
What you'll need:
Construction paper
Crayons
Glue stick
Scissors
Googly eyes
How to make your Footprint Ghost Craft:
Trace around your child's foot and cut their footprint out.
Glue the footprint onto a piece of construction paper.
Cut two arms out of construction paper (the same color as
the ghost) and glue them onto your ghost.
Draw a face onto your ghost.
And The Winner Is!
The winner for the October 15th giveaway from Elegantly Enchanting is nictac! Please send us your shipping information to samhainsirens@gmail.com
The Video of the Day
Chosen by our own Kestril Trueseeker
And now for some classic rock about the very notorious Jack
the Ripper…






<3 Music keep it going Kestril!! (bangs head)
ReplyDeleteFollow Pagan Culture!
ReplyDeleteBOOKS WANT! <3
ReplyDeleteI'm following the Pagan Culture blog! =)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your win!
DeleteWhooHoo! You won my Athame Pendant Necklace on Monday! !
DeleteI'm also following Samhain's Sirens on Facebook =)
ReplyDeleteWow, just saw that I won! Thank you! =)
ReplyDeleteDon't forget to send your shipping information to the email address listed. Thanks!
DeleteI follow the Sirens.
ReplyDeleteThis is for Kestrel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk-BELOclOI 'Ich Will'
ReplyDeleteI follow Pagan Culture.
ReplyDeleteI follow Magaly's wonderful blog!
ReplyDeleteI tweeted this and posted on facebook!
ReplyDeleteAwesome one petoskystone!
ReplyDeleteLOL, OK the temptation is proving too much. I follow on FB
I am a follower, and would love to win those books :D XXX
ReplyDeleteI have been stalking/following Magaly at Pagan Culture for some time now :D XXX
ReplyDeleteI liked you on FBook :D XXX
ReplyDeleteCannot pass by BOOKS!! I have Follow Magaly's Blog!
ReplyDeleteOf course, I LIKE Samhain's Sirens on facebook!
ReplyDeleteI follow and promote Samhain's Sirens on Twitter!
ReplyDeleteTweeted this Giveaway https://twitter.com/Eliora_Lorelei/status/258581275902885888
ReplyDeleteOops...I blogged :D http://daydreambeliever-gina.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/witches-are-made-of-wood.html
ReplyDeleteLook at you guys go!
ReplyDeleteI tweeted about this!
ReplyDelete@RhiannonRowan
I liked you on Facebook! (I am Lee Smith on there.)
ReplyDeleteFollowing via GFC (can't miss a post. Awesome-sauce!)
ReplyDeleteFollowing on Facebook (via KnitChaos & BohoWitch)
ReplyDeleteI'm all over the Twitter (@BohoWitch changed from @KnitChaos)
ReplyDeleteBeen adoringly stalking Magaly for ages, via FB, GFC,& Google+. She's one of my favorite writers and I adored AlmaMia. Can't wait for more from her world!
ReplyDeletelike you on facebook
ReplyDeletefollow you on twitter
ReplyDeletefollow your blog
ReplyDeleteI follow here and on facebook!
ReplyDeleteHI! OK! Following here. Liked on FB. Following Pagan Culture blog. Shared on FB. Shared on Google+
ReplyDelete:) yay!
I follow us here ( and everywhere lol )
ReplyDeleteI follow the dark and lovely Mags!
ReplyDeleteI am trying to tweet but it will not let me compose one for some reason, darn it.
ReplyDeleteHere we go, tweeted!
ReplyDeletehttps://twitter.com/TheWitchWriter/status/258666771496718337
I blogged!
ReplyDeletehttp://bellafoxglove.blogspot.com/2012/10/blurring-veil-with-magaly-guerrero.html
Gee, I already follow your blog, I've already "liked" you on FB, I don't twitter, and I totaled my car.
ReplyDeletehttp://peppylady.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-flaky-hohoho.html
ReplyDeleteI left a comment on Pagan culture...I also like us on facebook and I did blog about the give away..Coffee is on.
I'm following you on Blogspot. (nekosensei)
ReplyDeleteI'm following you on Twitter. (nekosensei)
ReplyDeleteI've Liked your page on Facebook (Kathleen Bode)
ReplyDeleteI've tweeted about the give-a-way.
ReplyDeletehttps://twitter.com/nekosensei/status/258980358761095168
I've subscribed by email to Pagan Culture's blog. (Kathleen S)
ReplyDeleteI'm a new GFC follower to Pagan Culture's blog! :)
ReplyDeleteTweeted about the giveaway! https://twitter.com/MissMaryApple/status/259004973801684992
ReplyDeleteI like Samhain's Sirens on Facebook!
ReplyDeleteI'm following Samhain's Sirens on Twitter @MissMaryApple.
ReplyDeleteIs it too late for me to enter the giveaway? I'm now a follower of this blog. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm also a follower of Magaly's blog Pagan Culture.
ReplyDeleteAnd I've "liked" Samhain's Sirens on Facebook.
ReplyDelete